For high school students entering NC State
Admission to the UHP is not automatic. Students are required to complete a separate application. The UHP application is electronic and is housed in WolfPAW. Students have to be admitted to NC State to apply to the University Honors Program. The UHP stops the invitation to apply process in early to mid-March. Prospective students can obtain an application one of two ways:
- Any student that has been accepted to NC State and meets two of the following three academic criteria will automatically be sent an invitation to apply:
- 1350 SAT (Critical Reading and Math only) or 30 ACT Composite
- 4.75 weighted GPA or 3.8 unweighted GPA
- Rank in the top 5% of graduating high school class
- Additional criteria is utilized to encourage diversity and inclusion per the University’s strategic plan. Interested and motivated students who do not meet the criteria for the automatic invite are encouraged to contact the program at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the admission application. Students have to be admitted to NC State to request the application and the application has to be requested prior to application request deadline (early/mid March).
All invitations to apply to the UHP correspond with the Office of Undergraduate Admission notification dates. This includes automatic invites and self-invites. The UHP generally sends out invitations to apply about one week after an Office of Admissions notification date. Students are notified through their WolfPAW account and email alert that they have been granted access to the application.
Admission to the UHP is based on the assessment of your potential for exceptional academic work and understanding of research and scholarship. Primarily this is done by evidence of creativity, initiative, and aspirations for academic excellence as described on your UHP application. Secondarily, the UHP considers SAT/ACT scores, high school grades, rigor of courses taken in high school, class rank (when available).
For students currently in their first year at NC State
There are two opportunities for current first year students to apply to the UHP. At the end of the fall and spring semester any first year student who has completed at least 12 credit hours and has earned a GPA of 3.75 or higher (College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Engineering and College of Science) or 3.5 or higher (College of Design, College of Education, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Natural Resources, College of Textiles, First Year College and Poole College of Management) and not in the University Scholars Program (USP) will receive an automatic invitation to apply.
Any student who has at least a 3.25 GPA and/or in the USP can contact the UHP office to self-invite. Students interested in an honors experience beyond their first year should contact their department or college about their honors program.
For students transferring to NC State from another college or university
Transfer students are invited to apply on a case-by-case basis and should contact the UHP to discuss their particular situation. Generally, transfer students are encouraged to explore honors program opportunities in their departments or colleges.