Aims of Education
Each year, the Honors program invites a distinguished scholar at NC State to give an address to incoming Honors students on the topic, “The Aims of Education.” Following the address, students and faculty gather over refreshments to discuss the matter further. As Honors students enter their formal undergraduate career, the address serves as a way to reflect on the nature of education, in general, and the nature of education at NC State, in particular.
The address is also intended as the starting point to the University Honors Program, during which students will develop the habits of mind necessary to begin an education characterized by inquiry-, discovery-, and creativity-based learning. Our address is modeled after the Aims of Education address, which has been given annual to incoming first-year students at the University of Chicago since 1962.
- 2018: Derek Ham, Assistant Professor of Graphic Design
- 2016: Genia Sklute, Former Associate Director of the University Honors Program
- 2015: Sarah Stein, Associate Professor of Communication
- 2014: Walt Wolfram, William C. Friday Distinguished Professor of English Linguistics
- 2013: Mary Schweitzer, Professor of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
- 2012: Rupert Nacoste, Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor of Psychology
- 2011: Joseph DeSimone, Chancellor’s Eminent Professor of Chemistry, UNC; William R. Kenan, Jr. Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering, NCSU
Each Fall and Spring, the University Honors Program will host the Capstone Celebration. This event provides a place for students to present their projects to other students, faculty mentors, family and the honors program faculty.
The Fall 2018 Completion Ceremony will be held on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 7:00pm in Withers Hall #232A. A reception will follow immediately after the ceremony. Light refreshments will be served.
Dress is business attire. Please no caps and gowns. Photo opportunities will be available.
Parking options and driving directions are available via this Google map https://goo.gl/maps/h5MBASeRAdp.
For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.